Make 2013 the year you finally take that dream vacation. Follow these easy tips, like saving money and planning with a buddy, and you’ll be boarding a plane to your ideal destination before the end of the year!
It’s time to start planning how to make 2013 the best year of your life to date. One great way to start doing this is to stop being just a dreamer and start being a doer, at least when it comes to your travel dreams and goals. Now is the time to stop saying “I want”, “I wish” and to start saying “I will.” The one dream, wish and want of any travel lover? Finally taking that dream trip they have always wanted to plan. Here are a few tips for making your dream a reality this year:
Think positive. The first step to making your travel dreams come true in 2013 is to believe that they will happen. If you let yourself be negative or have any worries about the trip, you’re more likely to make up excuses why you won’t be able to take it this year. Stay positive!
Save, save, save! Next up, you’ll actually need to start saving the money to take the trip. Here are some no-fail tips for saving:
- At the end of every day empty all of the change from your pockets in to your “trip-planning” jar. You’ll be amazed at how quickly that change adds up!
- Start making your coffee at home and take it in a travel mug to work or at least cut down on the Starbucks runs and every time you think of picking up a cup of java add that money to your “trip-planning” jar instead.
- If you work at a job where you make tips, put at least 50% (if not 100%) of your tips in your savings jar. If you don’t make tips at least guarantee yourself a certain percentage of every paycheck to go in to the jar. Some banks can even automatically move that money into a second bank account for you so you won’t even have the chance to spend it.
- Think about car pooling or taking the bus to save on gas. Put all the money you saved on gas toward your trip.
- Limit eating out at restaurants and enjoy more meals at home. Every time you’re craving takeout, eat something from your own kitchen and put the money you would have spent towards your trip.
Find a trip buddy. Find a friend that you know will be as dedicated to making this trip happen. That way you can push each other to save money and succeed at actually taking the trip this year. Being held responsible to someone else will always give you a little additional push. And it doesn’t hurt that it can be so much fun planning and traveling with a friend.
Commit to a date. Picking a date well in advance will definitely give you a sense of commitment for this trip. It will make your dream trip feel even more real early on. Also, if you plan the date of departure well in advance it gives you something to look forward to, allows you to plan for the weather for that time of year and will help you secure the time off of work.
Find a deal. Scour the Internet for deals. Follow travel companies on social media to be in the know of and take advantage of their promotions. Search on booking websites like cheapoair.com and kayak.com. There are also a ton of great opportunities through deal programs like Groupon or Gilt Groupe, so subscribing to those can also help you find a great deal. The better the deal you find will not only help you save more money, but might also upgrade the type of trip you plan because you’ll find bigger opportunities for less cash.
Follow these tips to help you make your dream vacation a reality in 2013. Now, what are you waiting for? Go plan your trip! And don’t forget to send us a postcard!
Cailin O’Neil has been the host of the travel web series “Travel Yourself” since early 2009 and currently travels the world hosting, filming, editing and producing the whole series herself. When not on camera she is also a food, travel and video blogger on two of her own websites – www.TheTasteofTravel.com, www.Travel Yourself.ca – and works as a freelancer in the Film and TV Industry in Halifax, Nova Scotia.
Overcome Excuses Not to Take Your Bucket List Trip This Year: http://blog.eaglecreek.com/read/adventure-travel/top-5-excuses-not-to-take-your-bucket-list-trip-this-year/
5 Reasons to Follow Through with Your New Year’s Travel Resolutions: http://blog.eaglecreek.com/read/adventure-travel/5-reasons-to-follow-through-with-your-new-years-travel-resolutions/
How to Plan an Epic Journey: http://blog.eaglecreek.com/read/packing/how-to-plan-an-epic-journey/